- Get close to Borneo turtles and learn more about this species
- Work close to biologists and park rangers
- Drive through Sarawak countryside
- Round trip from Kuching to Sematan and then boat to Talang Talang and back
- Accommodation at the Talang Talang ranger station
- Entrance fees and permits
- Minimum 4 persons.
Contribute to the volunteer project to help the sea turtle – an unfortunately endangered species. For four days you will be a collaborator at island declared national park for the turtles protection and safeguard. During your staying you may be able to spot those reptiles laying their eggs during the nighttime as well as daytime. Follow the instructions given by the local rangers at the National Park and gives your contribution to the daily work aimed to preserve and safeguards their eggs. Your duties include beach patrols to locate turtle arrivals, monitoring turtle nesting activity, tagging and measuring turtles, transferring eggs to the hatchery, releasing hatchlings, data recording and other on-site conservation activities. You will be accommodated together with the rangers on the island – it’s a simple dorm room with shared bath. It’s not possible to have a private room as accommodation.
Since it’s a protected area, you will be trained by the Sea Park Management about rules and regulations to be followed while on the island. Expect this to be a gratifying experience – although you can swim on the island be aware this is not a “beach holiday”; the accommodation itself at the rangers station on Talang-Talang island is basic and not a fancy resort.
The Forest Department accept a fixed amount of volunteers per year and in specific days only. Let us know which of these dates suits you best in order for us to confirm the availability.
- May: 4th to 7th / 11th to 14th / 18th to 21st
- June: 8th to 11th / 15th to 18th / 22nd to 25th
- July: 6th to 9th / 13th to 16th / 27th to 30th
- August: 3th to 6th / 10th to 13th / 17th to 20th / 24th to 27th
- September: 7th to 10th / 14th to 17th / 21st to 24th
We recommend you to carry only a waterproof backpack with the strict necessary, since to reach the island a medium-sized boat will be used. If you have a heavy or cumbersome baggage, we suggest to leave it for safekeeping at your accommodation’s luggage storage in town. We recommend to have with you suitable shoes and outfit, mosquito repellent, sunscreen, a raincoat, a hat, a torch, a waterproof camera, a towel and your swimsuit and a towel.